Real Food Toolbox Tips:
- In the true spirit of my "Recipe Improv" freestyle cooking, I just concocted this dish using ingredients I had in my kitchen. Garlicky shrimp scampi with a coconut milk alfredo sauce, roasted spaghetti squash & brown rice spaghetti.
- I posted photos on Instagram and Facebook. And got such a great response, I decided to post it here too 👍🏽
- I included the recipe for each component of this dish. But feel free to experiment -- with a different sauce or protein or just use spaghetti squash if you want to stay Paleo. Recipe Improv is about having fun with your cooking. So enjoy!!
- There are a bunch of steps. But nothing too complicated.
- The squash was from my Elmwood Stock Farm CSA. It was rather smallish. So thought I needed some extra heft to create a hardy meal. Which is why I opted to mix in some pasta 💪🏽🍝😋
- Fortunately I always keep various types of Jovial Foods brown rice pasta in my pantry. Only ingredients are 100% organic whole grain brown rice flour and water. So while not 💯 Paleo (because rice is a grain), this pasta is 💯 Real Food.
- I've tried other gluten-free pasta brands. And this is my favorite.
- Has the texture, taste and "bite" of conventional gluten pasta.
- It is pricier though. But for the occasional times we eat pasta and the health benefits of eating a 💯 Real Food brand, we're fine with that.
- Both the local co-op (Good Foods Co-op) and the area Whole Foods sells this brand. I only buy when on sale. And stock up so it becomes more affordable.
- If you can't find this brand in your local stores, you can buy it from my Amazon Store.
- FYI - I am not receiving any compensation from Jovial. Except if you buy any products from my Amazon Store. So THANKS for supporting this Blog 🤗😘
- Just want to share some Real Food Toolbox tips that have helped me to Keep Eatin' Real Food!
Large knife (to cut the squash), cutting board, fork, brush or spatula (to spread olive oil), parchment paper, rimmed baking sheet, measuring cup
Spaghetti squash, olive oil, salt & pepper (I like red pepper flakes).
PREHEAT OVEN TO 400
- Cut squash in half and use fork to scoop out the seeds.
- Brush the squash with olive oil and liberally season with salt & pepper.
- Lay cut-side down on parchment lined rimmed baking sheet. Pour enough water to cover bottom of pan.
- Place in oven for 30 mins or so until you can easily pierce squash with fork.
- Set aside to cool until everything else is ready.
Coconut Milk Alfredo Sauce
Medium sauce pan, spatula or cooking spoon, knife and cutting board (to mince ingredients) or small food processor, measuring cup and spoons, zester
INGREDIENTS (Note -- * after ingredient means it is optional.)
Butter (or your choice of healthy fat), garlic (minced), your choice of herbs* (minced), bacon* (chopped and as much as you desire), 1/4 Cup broth (homemade if you have it), 1 tsp arrowroot powder, 1 can coconut milk (full fat), zest of 1 medium lemon, salt & pepper
- Melt 2 TBSPS of butter on medium heat in a medium sauce pan.
- Toss in some minced garlic and lightly cook.
- Toss in some minced herbs if you like.
- Toss in some chopped bacon - YUM!! Stir until well-combined.
- NOTE: If you're in a pinch for time, feel free to use a mini food processor or chopper for the garlic herbs and bacon.
- Mix 1/4 Cup broth with 1 tsp arrowroot powder. Then add to pan and reduce by half.
- Add 1 can coconut milk and zest of 1 medium lemon.
- When gently boiling, reduce to low. Stir occasionally until reduced to desired sauce consistency.
- Season to taste.
Garlicky Shrimp Scampi
Knife, cutting board, large saute pan, spatula and tongs, citrus juicer or fork
Garlic (minced), butter (or your choice of healthy fat), Shrimp (preferably sustainably caught and processed)
- Melt 1-2 TBSPS butter on medium heat in large saute pan.
- Toss in minced garlic (I love a garlicky flavor, so I use lots).
- When lightly cooked, turn heat to medium high and toss in shrimp.
- Saute -- Tossing and turning shrimp until it turns pink.
- Add juice of 1 lemon. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Remove pan from heat and continue to stir. The juice will reduce a bit while the pan is still hot.
Brown Rice Pasta
Stock pot or pot large enough for cooking pasta, large cooking spoon, collander
100% Whole Grain, Organic Pasta. Make sure 100% is used before the grain because simply "whole grain" is not the same.
- No tricks here, just prepare as directed 😉
Large bowl and tossing utensils (I used a large cook spoon and spatula)
- Hold squash over a large bowl (if still hot, wait until it cools to the touch). Scrape the squash with fork to separate into strips of noodles. Allow to fall into the bowl.
- Pour the shrimp in the bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- Pour Alfredo sauce over shrimp & squash combo and continue to toss.
- Add pasta to the bowl, if you like. Then toss together and plate. OR plate the pasta separately and spoon the sauce & shrimp over it.
- Option to grate cheese.
- Then twirl, twirl twirl 🍝🙌🏽👊🏽😋🤗😘❤️
Interested in learning more about the Real Food and Paleo Movement or finding the right cookbooks to help you throughout your Real Food Journey? What about products -- do you need any kitchen equipment, gadgets, or appliances? Is your pantry stocked with nut flours, coconut flours, healthy fats, and other Real Food flavorings to make tasty nutritious meals?
I created an Amazon Store loaded with all of my recommendations 👊🏽💪🏽🙌🏽 Click Here 👉🏽 Realistic FoodEs Amazon Store* to start shopping.
And as always, if you have any questions about these products, please feel free to Contact me 🤗😘😍❤️