Real Food Toolbox Tips:
- A friend shared this recipe after we found rhubarb in our CSA Box. Sadly though, I had to wait for these delectable delights because I was in the midst of our sugar detox (The 21DSD). But let me tell you, these Strawberry Rhubarb Bars were worth the wait. 😍 🍓 Deliciously jammy with just a hint of sweet. The crust and crumble top added a moist richness that we were not expecting. 🙌🏽 👏🏽 This will recipe definitely be in our rotation 👍🏽 😋
- I had to freeze the CSA rhubarb while we finished our detox. And strawberries are no longer in season. So we used frozen fruit, which was just fine. ❄️ ❄️ The author (See below for credits) noted that other fruits can be used. Since we used rhubarb & strawberries, I can't speak to this substitution. If you do go off the board, be sure to post comments 👇🏽 to let us know your thoughts 👍🏽
- The author also recommends Honeyville Almond Flour. We used Anthony's Almond Flour, which worked well. Just make sure to use a finely ground almond flour. I provide product links for both flours and other ingredients below.
- FYI - You can also find equipment and ingredients in my 👉🏽Amazon Store* 😉 And if you use that link to purchase anything, you'll be supporting this Blog. So THANK YOU 😍
- My friend found the recipe on Danielle Walker's Against All Grain website. One of my Paleo Goddesses -- Been following her for years. Fabulously yummy recipes. Most are easy to make without needing special kitchen tools or advanced kitchen skills. Tim actually made these bars 😉
- The recipe was actually from a Guest Poster on Danielle's site. The original author is Carol Lovett of Ditch the Wheat. It's still posted on Danielle's site, but not on Carol's.
- Here is the recipe in full. We did not make any substitutions.
8x8 Square Baking Pan, Parchment Paper, Large Bowl, Medium Size Pot, Spatulas, Measuring Cups & Spoons
Optional: Handheld Mixer, Whisk or Large Fork
Note: Don't forget to check out my 👉🏽 Amazon Store* if you need any equipment 😉
- 2-Cups Almond Flour
- 1/4-Cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/4-Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/8-tsp Sea Salt
Rhubarb & Strawberry Jam Center -
- 2-Cups Frozen or Fresh Rhubarb, chopped finely
- 2-Cups Frozen or Fresh Strawberries, chopped finely
- 1/4-Cup Maple Syrup
- 2-Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
Crumb Mixture -
- 1-Cup Almond Flour
- 2-Tbsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2-Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Pinch of Sea Salt
SERVES: 8 Squares
Preheat Oven to 350
- Line the bottom of an 8x8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper. (NOTE: Trim the long ends of the paper to the top edges of the pan for a better fit.)
- In a large bowl, use a handheld mixer to combine the Crust Ingredients. (Note: No Mixer? Don't fret. Just use your arm strength 💪🏽 and a whisk or large fork to mix, mix, mix. And get an upper body workout to boot 🏋🏽 😉)
- Once well combined, Press the dough to spread evenly onto the bottom of the parchment lined pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Crust is done when lightly brown and firm to the touch. Gently sweep away any crumbs.
- Mix the Rhubarb & Strawberry Jam Ingredients in a medium sized pot and turn the heat to low.
- Continue stirring the Jam until the mixture has thickened.
- When the consistency is similar to Jam take the pot off the heat. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Use a spatula to spread the Jam filling over the baked Crust.
- Combine the Crumble Mixture together in a medium bowl using a handheld mixer. No mixer? See NOTE above.
- Sprinkle the Crumble Mixture over the Jam filling.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- The Bars are done when the Crumble top is lightly brown.
- Allow the Bars to cool completely for a few hours. (NOTE: Know this will be hard because you'll just want to dig in. But you do need to wait for the Bars to "set". Otherwise it -- could -- get -- messy 😜)
- Cut the Bars into 8 squares.
- Store Bars in refrigerator. YUM -- YUM 😋 😋 🤗 😍
Interested in learning more about the Real Food and Paleo Movement or finding the right cookbooks to help you throughout your Real Food Journey? What about products -- do you need any kitchen equipment, gadgets, or appliances? Is your pantry stocked with nut flours, coconut flours, healthy fats, and other Real Food flavorings to make tasty nutritious meals?
I created an Amazon Store loaded with all of my recommendations 👊🏽💪🏽🙌🏽 Click Here 👉🏽 Realistic FoodEs Amazon Store* to start shopping.
And as always, if you have any questions about these products, please feel free to Contact me 🤗😘😍❤️