Real Food Toolbox Tips:
- Like the name says, this is a meaty meatloaf. 4 lbs of ground meats -- Yes, that's right. Meaty 😉
- For this recipe, I used 2 Lbs Ground Beef and 2 Lbs Ground Sweet Italian Sausage. But feel free to use whatever ground meats you desire. Using all ground beef may be more easier on the budget. But you may need to bump up the seasonings. Because ground beef does not have the flavor as ground pork, sausage, lamb, etc.
- I bulk buy pasture-raised, 100% grass-fed meat form a local farm. But no need to adhere to this if not readily available or out of budget. Buy the best quality available and that you can afford. That's the Realistic way 😉
- This recipe is a good way to "hide" veggies. I added about 2 cups of shredded cabbage, carrots, zucchini, and yellow squash. But again, feel free to improv with what you have on hand. In other words -- feel free to "clean out your fridge" of any veggies that you may need to use or risk losing. If you opt for greens, it's a good idea to saute or blanch first. So they are softened and "spread" and shape easier as part of the loaf.
- Re: the equipment, I prefer cooking on a foil-lined broiler pan. This will allow drippings to fall away from the loaf as it cooks. And the foil will make clean-up easier.
- You can find equipment and ingredients in my 👉🏽 Amazon Store* 😉 And if you purchase anything by using that link, you are supporting this Blog. So THANK YOU 😍
Foil-lined broiler pan OR Parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet, Large bowl, Medium bowl, measuring cups and spoons.
Optional: Disposable food prep gloves, small food processor or chopper.
Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl, combine the 4 lbs ground meat, 1-2 C veggies (see my notes) & 1-C Almond Flour. I usually add cooked chopped bacon (as much as you desire), bad sadly did not have any for this recipe. Mix until well combined. I like to use my hands, so gloves come in handy 😉
- Now for some flavor boosters: I tossed 5-6 or so cloves garlic, a bunch of fresh sage, and 1-tsp or so of medium-hot red chili flakes into a small food processor. But feel free to sub in your favorites. I know many folks use onions. I have a sensitivity, I'll never have those in my recipes. No food processor or chopper? No problem. Just chop, chop, chop with your arm strength 💪🏽
- In a medium bowl, mix 3 eggs, 1/2-C Coconut or Almond Milk & Seasonings of your choice. I seasoned with 1-tsp Kosher salt, 2-tsps smoked paprika, & 1-tsp cumin. Whisk together.
- Pour egg mixture into ground meat mixture. Mix until well-combined. Again - I use my hands. If the mixture is too "wet" then add more almond flour (1/4-C or so).
- Transfer that meaty blob onto your pan and shape into a loaf. Since there's so much, it's best to form into a "book shape" (long, wide and not very tall), rather than an loaf. Will cook more evenly this way. Place in over and cook for 1 hour or until done. Then cool for 10-15 minutes.
Interested in learning more about the Real Food and Paleo Movement or finding the right cookbooks to help you throughout your Real Food Journey? What about products -- do you need any kitchen equipment, gadgets, or appliances? Is your pantry stocked with nut flours, coconut flours, healthy fats, and other Real Food flavorings to make tasty nutritious meals?
I created an Amazon Store loaded with all of my recommendations 👊🏽💪🏽🙌🏽 Click Here 👉🏽 Realistic FoodEs Amazon Store* to start shopping.
And as always, if you have any questions about these products, please feel free to Contact me 🤗😘😍❤️