I believe in voting with my food dollars✌️🍽💵⚖ Because whether we realize it or not, we have the power to affect social change everyday with every bite we take. So let's do our best to buy (i.e., support) food that is sustainably, humanely, and responsibly raised, farmed and processed. AND can be traced to practices that reflect our values.
I was reminded of this concept when I pulled a package of shrimp from my freezer to defrost for the Garlicky Shrimp Alfredo dish I posted recently 🍤🍝😋
Did you know that much of the peeled shrimp served and sold in American, European, and Asian markets is processed by people subjected to horrendous and oppressive conditions tantamount to modern-day slavery? 😱😝😠
OMG for shame to us all who bellies up to that all-you-can-eat peeled shrimp bar. Just stop doing that 👎🏽😒😠💩 Look, I know fish and seafood is loaded with great nutrients. So I'm a sucker for any shrimp or fish on the menu. Which means I contributed that that awfulness. But now -- I know better. I absolutely don't want to support slavery or any other oppressive treatment.
So last year when Tim & I read a series of articles by AP journalists who were embedded during an 18 month investigation to expose abusive practices in the Southeast Asian fishing industry. We decided to take a stand. We STOPPED eating shrimp, fish, or any other seafood UNLESS we have clear knowledge of its traceability 🍤🐟💯⚖ Click this link to read more about 👉🏽 AP Explore: Seafood from Slaves.
Does this mean Tim & I don't eat shrimp anymore? Heavens no! We LOVE shrimp. But we make sure that the shrimp, fish and seafood we eat can be traced back sources that are consistent with our values to support sustainably, humanely, and responsibly farmed, raised, and processed food. 👊🏽✌🏽🙋🏽🍽🌱🌎💚
And if you are interested in taking a stand to end these practices. Look for one the labels from these organizations on food packaging:
- "Certified Sustainable Seafood MSC" by the Marine Stewardship Council. This label (top, left) means the fish and seafood can be traced to a fishery that ensures they are caught at levels that allow fish populations and the ecosystems on which they depend to remain healthy and productive for the future.
- "Best Aquaculture Practices Certified" by The Global Aquaculture Alliance. This label (top, right) means the seafood came from facilities that meet the highest standards, with respect for the environment, workers and their communities, and the animals themselves.
- "Farmed Responsibly ASC Certified" (bottom) by the Aquaculture Stewardship Council whose mission is to transform aquaculture towards environmental sustainability and social responsibility using efficient market mechanisms that create value across the chain.
Here's two more things you can start doing:
- If you buy directly from a store or fish market, start building a relationship with your fishmonger to let them know THIS matters to you.
- Before ordering shrimp, fish or seafood at a restaurant ASK questions about traceability. Not saying you shouldn't order the fish or seafood. But if we start asking these questions, at least restaurants will be on notice that THIS is an important issue.
Now I get that food that is sustainably, humanely, and responsibly farmed, raised, and processed food is more expensive than their conventional counterparts. But if enough of us vote with our food dollars, we can create a critical mass that will drive prices down to be on par 🤑 with the competition.
YES -- We can make a positive difference every day. And create the critical mass needed to change our food system and our world. THIS is Empowerment ✌🏽👊🏽💪🏽
When we started our Real Food journey in 2011. Our motivation was lifelong health. But as we learned more about eating food that is whole, unprocessed, and unrefined, we realized that this lifestyle is not only about what we eat, but also reflection of our values.
This is a wholistic approach to understanding and connecting with food. One that nourishes the mind, body, spirit AND world 🌱🌎💚🙏🏽 So "Vote With Your Food Dollars" by buying food that support your values. You'll live a healthier, socially conscious life. Your body will thank you AND the world will thank you 🌎🤗😘
Kick Sugar To The Curb!
If you take the challenge, please let me know. I have received so much support and positive energy from you all. That I would like to return the favor 😉