Twas the night before the end of our sugar-free journey!
Here is my Daily Success Log Entry for August 6th. Note: Food portions are approximations. Veggies are local. Meat is local, 100% grass-fed and pasture-raised. Poultry & Eggs are local & pasture-raised:
- Sleep Time & Quality: 7.5 hours.
- Exercise: 10,080 Steps (4.0 Miles) and 8 Hours of Good Posture. Walked 9 holes of golf.
- Mood & Energy: Excellent
- Breakfast: Egg Scramble w/ Ground Beef, Avocado, Fresh Sage from the garden & 1/4-C Almond Flour.
- Lunch: Kale Salad w/ Toasted Walnuts, Grilled Salmon & Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Dinner: Beef Stew w/ Kale served over Sautéed Cabbage Wedges. Leftover from August 2nd (Day #16).
- Snacks: Sliced Heirloom Tomatoes Wrapped in Prosciutto (pasture-raised pork & salt are only ingredients), Chopped Fresh Basil from the garden. EVOO & Balsamic Drizzle.
- Notes: Restless sleep. Was feeling dehydrated so drank some water. Then kept getting up to go to the bathroom.
Day 20 of our 21DSD. Yes, that's right folks . . . . Tim & I are on the brink of completing our sugar-free challenge!! And as I reflect upon our journey, so many words come to mind: so freakin' hard, energizing, grueling, enlightening, crazy, untenable, uplifting, satisfying, fatiguing, monumental. I can go on and on. You go through so many mixed emotions -- the highs and lows -- when you're breaking up with one of your most intimate friends. But right now -- at this very moment -- I am feeling EMPOWERED!!
"Samastitihi" is a yoga posture of "Equal Standing". It is a call to action. To stand in balanced stillness with equal, steady, and still attention. With this posture, the alignment is not emphasized as much. But rather, we use our time in Samasthiti to come to attention and bring our awareness to our breath, coming back to our center.
As we enter this pose, our teacher cues to use this time to dedicate our practice. It can be a dedication to anyone or anything. So for the past 19 days, I have been dedicating my practice to Sugar. Not to this detox though. But to sugar itself -- to the power and presence it has in my life. Because if I am going to find a healthy space for it. I need to recognize AND respect the power of sugar.
As I posted in my Recap of Day 14, sugar is a ubiquitous force in our lives. Most of our fondest and happiest memories were forged in the presence of sugar. As our many celebrations were crowned with decadent, sugary bliss (and alcohol).
From the early days of our youth we were rewarded with sweet treats when we did something good. "If you just let me finish shopping, I'll buy you a cookie at the bakery on the way out."
And sadly, sugar is an integral part of our cultural food identity. As the Standard American Diet is laced with added sugars that are often hidden within the cryptic text of those incredibly long, laborious list of ingredients. And let's not forget that we are physiologically prone to crave sugar.
So dedicating my Samastitihis to sugar allowed me to be present and fully aware of sugar in my life. A dark passenger lurking about. Ready to bust back in at any given moment. But at the same time, standing on equal footing with sugar.
These were moments of EMPOWERMENT. Where I could set my intention to Eat for Energy. So if at any moment a Snickers bar magically appeared from the sky, I could look at it and say "Not right now". And it's not because I am following this "special sugar detox diet". But because when it comes to food, my mantra is Food = Nutrition = Energy = Life.
Before I took this detox journey, I was not expecting to feel this level of empowerment. Having been living this Real Food/Paleo lifestyle all these years, I didn't think this old dog could learn new tricks. And now here I am -- completely blown away by this experience.
And because I used this time to solidify the tenets of my food ideology. I am more energized than ever about this Blog. I believe in the power of Real Food. This was a transformative discovery that changed my life. And this 21DSD took all that to a new level. So if you are inspired to start your Real Food journey. And I hope at some point you will. Then I'd love to help you do this. Because my Mission is to start a movement that will EMPOWER you to find your BEST selves through Real Food!
Kick Sugar To The Curb!
If you decide to take this challenge, please let me know. I have received so much support and positive energy from you all. That I would like to return the favor :-)
- Altuchaer, Claudia Azula. "Sa-Mas-Ti-Ti-Hi -- What IS that?" Claudia Yoga -- Ideas from a Yoga Entrepreneur. Yoga, June 8, 2012. Web. August 7, 2016.
- Ezraty, Maty. "The Difference Between 'Tadasana' and 'Samastitihi'" Yoga Journal. Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. August 28, 2007. Web. August 7, 2016.
- Sanfilippio, Diane BS, NC, The 21 Day Sugar Detox, Las Vegas, Victory Belt Publishing Inc., 2013.